Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What a way to go...

In the last two months, Rayden and I have buried 3 of our grandparents. First Rayden's Peepaw, then two weeks later my step-grandfather, and then 31 days after Peepaw passed his wife, Gran, left this world. It can certainly leave a person a bit breathless to face this much death in such a short period of time (no pun intended). It has forced me to think about the brevity of life. It has made me evaluate the quality of my days. I am sad that these precious people are no longer on earth, but I rejoice in the fact that they are dancing on street of gold, and I also rejoice in the lessons that their passing have taught me.

I will start with Gran. Her passing is so beautiful to me. She was mostly healthy when Peepaw died. Sure, she had diabetes, was in a wheelchair, and was in her mid 80s, but those things were all under control. The day we buried Peepaw my husband overheard Gran whisper to him, "It would be the happiest day of my life if they would just let me crawl up in their with you." Heartbreaking...and yet truly beautiful. Gran represents to me the picture of faithfulness, gentleness, and helper. She was a model to me of what a wife should be. She was hospitable, sweet, encouraging, supportive. I pray I can be like her.

John Mongiello. Although he was not my grandfather by birth, he was grandfather to me for 17 years (more than I knew my actual grandfather). I must say that I did not know him well. Yet, I loved him. I loved him for caring for my grandma. I loved him for how he loved me and took me as his own. I loved him for encouraging our families to stay close. His passing means that my grandma has now buried two husbands. I hurt for her. I know she is lonely. I am learning through John's passing what it means to weep with those who weep. I am learning that it is NOT hard to pick up the phone and call someone and let them know you care. I have wasted way too long not keeping in touch with those who are so dear to me.

And finally, Peepaw. He was an amazing man. He was a loud...polarizing...man. Some people loved him and some people couldn't stand him. Even now, some of his family still talk about him in a negative way and recount ways he hurt them. But, an amazing blessing I have is that I only knew Peepaw to be wonderful. He was funny, kind, loving, and full of life. His passing is teaching me that the way you treat people really matters. It also has taught me that forgiveness is essential...holding on to hurt only wounds my own heart.

I will miss all three of these dear people. But,I do not grieve as though I have no hope. I grieve with joy, knowing that just like my Father in Heaven has prepared a place for them...He has also prepared a place for me. I must admit...I hope I don't get there anytime soon...but it's an awesome thought to know that it is waiting for me.

1 comment:

The Holland Family said...

What a sweet tribute to those that you loved dearly. And wonderful lessons we can all learn from