Thursday, May 7, 2009

Psalm 107

Today in my personal time with the Lord I read Psalm 107. It was so refreshing to me and such a powerful reminder of all God can do. There were two things that really stuck out to me.

First, I can not get over verse 9. "For He satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things." Isn't that amazing? Being desperate and empty is actually a good thing. It puts us in a place to receive from the Lord. It's almost as if God is declaring that there is a magnetic attraction between us realizing our broken state and His desire to satisfy. O Lord, how I am hungry for more of you....may I be ever filled with only you!

Second, I am struck by some words that repeat themselves 5 times in this short passage. Verses 8, 15, 21, 31, and 43 all say:

"Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man."

I am drawn to these words for the simple fact that they are repeated. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that the author was trying to draw attention to this command. I am also intrigued by the situations that precede these words. The author describes several situations in which God's people have gotten themselves into a terrible mess. They eventually detest their situation enough that they cry out to God. When they do, God hears and rescues them. He led the Israelites through the desert to the promised land, he rescued prisoners, he fed the hungry, and he calmed the sea.

I think that the Lord is showing me over and over again that THERE IS NOT ANYTHING He CAN'T DO! I guess it would behoove me to begin to really believe that. I mean, don't get me wrong....my head knows that it's true. I even want to say that my heart just instantly trusts that God will come through with a miracle. But, I must admit....I need an increase in my faith. It is easy for me to become discouraged in difficult times. It is easy for me to grow weary in doing good while I see no benefit. I wish it weren't so, but it's true.

I guess that those repeating phrases are the key to overcoming doubt. If I will simply thank the Lord for his steadfast love and his wondrous works then my head and heart will be renewed with hope. I will remember how GREAT my God is....I will remember all the times he has RESCUED me, I will remember all the ANSWERED PRAYERS, I will remember the MIRACLES I have witnessed with my own eyes.

It reminds me of a fantastic quote I heard in a video by Louie Giglio. He said, "We haven't seen all that we want to from God in our lifetime. But, we have seen enough to know we can trust him forever." That is simply the truth.

I praise you, Lord, for your steadfast love. I thank you for your wondrous works to the children of man.

2 comments:

deliveredjude said...

Miracles always make me think about when you were passing out water bottles in Ecuador. Just thought I'd throw that memory out there. :) Love you and are praying for you.

Oh, and Sarah said if you'd like to talk anytime she'd enjoy that. Let me know if you'd like her number or e-mail.

The Holland Family said...

I love that Louie Giglio quote. You may see it on our blog! Thanks for sharing what you learned today, it spoke straight to my heart as I deal will some of the same head to heart struggles!