Saturday, May 9, 2009

tomorrow is Mother's Day

Well, tomorrow is Mother's day. I have already been overloaded with love and showered with gifts. This kids made me wonderful crafts at preschool. Aubri's teacher took this sweet picture and had it framed....and then made the cutest bag to wrap it in.




Nathan made himself into flowers.



And Kaleb used his hand and thumbs to paint this beautiful picture.



I have enjoyed my day already....and it hasn't even started. Not to mention that I declared today to be "Hollis Family Spring Cleaning Day 2009." We did SO much work today. We vacuumed, steam cleaned, scrubbed baseboards and door frames, dusted blinds and ceiling fans, mopped, and organized. I am proud to say that there is not one piece of dirty bedding in this whole house! And, I am only one load of laundry away from having ALL the clothes cleaned! (those of you with 5 people in your family will recognize what an amazing accomplishment that is)


But, in the midst of all the joy that this weekend is bringing me, I am also feeling pangs of sorrow.

The sorrow is in regards to my own mother. The story is long, but the gist of it is that she is struggling with some sort of mental/behavioral disorder. In January we helped her to move to Memphis so that we could help her get control of her life again. So daily I face the fact that the mom I have always known is gone. The woman who was once vibrant and strong is now insecure and fearful. The woman who was passionately seeking after the Lord now does not go to church at all. The woman who served so faithfully now must be served in order to even survive. I know that almost everyone goes through this with their parents at one point or another, but I guess I just did not anticipate it happening for me at the age of 28. But, what can you do? I am trying to serve her like she served me in my growing years. I am trying to love her like Christ loves her. I am committed to walking her through all of this. I do not know what the future holds for my mom. I am hopeful that we can get her some sort of insurance and then get her treatment that can lead her towards the abundant life God promises. But, even if I see no improvement....I will stay the course. And tomorrow, I will honor her for the woman she once was, the woman she is, and the woman who I believe she will one day become.

Overall, I LOVE Mother's Day. Not because I am the object of every one's praise, but simply because it is a day that I stand in awe that the Lord saw fit to make me a mother in the first place. A mother is what I have always wanted to be. I know I am not a perfect one, but I praise the Lord that He is more in love with my babies that I am. I praise the Lord that He can watch over them when I can't. I praise the Lord that in my weakness He is strong. I praise the Lord that He has ordained their steps. I praise the Lord that it is His will that none should perish. I praise the Lord that He made me a mommy to the 3 most amazing children this world has ever seen!






1 comment:

Dee Dee said...

Hi Sarah.

Your words about your Mom are so hard to read. I remember her the way you described: strong in faith and service, always so supportive, a vital Christian. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this and I'm not surprised you're committed to walking her through the journey. I pray that you're able to get her some treatment. The other day when you posted on Facebook about needing some advice about how to get insurance for her I wished SO much I had some to give. Please know that I'm thinking and praying for both your mom and for you. Happy Mother's Day.