Sunday, November 8, 2009

new book

I have started reading a new book. I hope I finish this one because it's really good (I have a tendency to start books and then not finish because I find a new book I want to start) But I am committing to finish this one. It's called "Parenting by the book" by John Rosemond. I picked it up on a recommendation by a friend (actually an ex-boyfriend) when I posted on facebook all the struggles we were having with Kaleb recently.

It's great so far and I am gleaning all kinds of insight. Here are some of my favorite quotes...

"If you adhere to God's plan in your life, you will still experience sadness, pain, frustration, and heartache (since the Fall, there is no escaping this tribulation), but you will endure and you will eventually come out on top."

"Because Freudian mythology has managed to stay alive despite a lack of proof, the all-too-typical modern mom believes that she is cause and her child's behavior is the effect."

"Grandma also knew that she could not be a good enough parent to guarantee that her children would never do anything despicable, disgusting, or depraved-that the power of their choosing was more powerful than the power of her parenting."

"People with high self esteem possess an entitlement mentality: they believe that anything they do is worthy of merit. As a consequence, they rarely do their best at anything."

These quotes all come from the first 56 pages (I am not very far into it yet),but I love that Mr. Rosemond is challenging the style of parenting that most of us, Christian or not, have bought into today. He is challenging the child-centered family. He is questioning whether a high self-esteem for your child is really a Biblical goal. He is debunking psychological parenting and promoting a Biblical view of child-rearing. It's a really unique perspective because while he is anti-psychological parenting, he is, in fact, a psychologist.

If you need a good parenting book, I recommend this one. Now, keep in mind that I am only on page 56....please do not hold me responsible for any content after that page. But, I can assure that pages 1-56 will be worth your time. I will share more as I get further into it.

What are you reading? Any other recommendations for great books? Have any especially meaningful quotes to share?

1 comment:

theshaw5 said...

Sarah, I do love these "quotes" already especially the one about the high self-esteem person - although I don't totally agree b/c I think of Jason with both high self-esteem and a little ocd - and he is performance crazed! So?? hmmm?? I'm listening for sure and very interested in this book - I do wonder though do we want to lower our children's self-esteem?? the reason they feel high self-esteem I would think is b/c they feel respected and i do beleive we should respect each other - so definately you get an opinion - it doesn't mean i will change my mind but i'll listen... also heard that "leaders" are made when "the rules" are bent a little so they can be who they are respectfully - in other words no doesn't ALWAYS have to mean no no no no no no maybe you can ride in the street when i'm sitting here and we are both watching for cars... etc... but definately this quote makes me think of harrison... i'm really glad you shared... i'm interested for sure!! Guess I should go by the library today and check it out :)