Thursday, November 19, 2009

falling deeper in love

I've been reading more. And I must say that I am really excited about this book. When last I told you about it I was still somewhere around page 60. But now, I am on page 146. People.....it's official now. I love this book. It's a real no nonsense guide to parenting. It seems simple and practical. You've got to love when you read something and in your head you are thinking, "yeah....that's it! That sounds right. Why didn't I think that before?" It's clever, funny, informative, thought-provoking. Okay, okay....you probably get the picture by now. You would think I was paid to do a review of it or something! (which I wasn't, by the way!). If you would indulge me, I would love to share a few new quotes that I have read recently. Maybe they will speak you as they did me.

"In this regard, Grandma understood that she was raising an adult, not a child." -I love that thought. We are equipping our kids for something more than just the next play date or the next school grade. We are striving to make them functional and godly PEOPLE....adults who will lead their own lives in a way that honors our Lord.

"consumption without contribution inevitably engenders a feeling of entitlement." -Yikes! I wholeheartedly agree. I even see this in my own life (gulp!). I want my kids to be grateful people....and it seems that requiring their participation in our family chores and responsibility will facilitate this.

"Nothing dampens a child's social skills more than solitary, mind-numbing electronics." -Umm....guilty as charged. I sure have rented a movie because I was tired and played it off as "family movie night." What a lame excuse for a "togetherness" activity. No one says a word to each other....in fact we never actually even glance in one another's direction (unless someone gets up to pee) and we call it bonding. Something seems a bit off. That quote stings a bit.

"all too many of today's parents really do not know where they are headed with their children" -Once again....ouch. This one is really making me think. Where am I headed with them? I mean, sure, I want them to be godly adults, but that's a pretty generic.....and hugely gigantic target. Anything more specific? Not sure yet....still praying and thinking about it. I hope to have an answer soon....at least before them move out, right?!

"Grandma understood that unless emotional pain was associated with misbehavior, misbehavior would continue unchecked. But then, in Grandma's day, misbehavior was not a psychological phenomenon. It was sin, and one could not afford to fool around where sin was concerned." -I have really like this quote because it reminds me that it's okay....no, actually, great when my kids cry after they do something wrong or after they are disciplined. That means they "got it." They need to associate sin with pain. Wouldn't it be helpful in our own adult lives if we could always adequately make that connection? It also reminds me that in the "discipline war" the battle is not between me and my child. The war I am waging is against sin. So really, my child and I are on the same team....dressing in armor and drawing our swords against the evil one. And I for one will be damned (pardon my language....I know pastor's wives shouldn't curse, but it sure feels appropriate in this sense) if I let the enemy win in my child's life!

If you are at all intrigued, I encourage you to go get this book. I am loving it and it is stirring up some great prayer times and making for some great conversations between Rayden and I about our goals in parenting and how we see ourselves getting there.

No comments: