Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Funeral funnies

I better post these sweet little stories before I forget them.

We went to Oklahoma last week for Peepaw's funeral. It was a whirlwind trip...8 hours in the car Wednesday....3 on Thursday....10 on Friday. I am glad that it is over. The trip was full of ups and downs. The downs were what you would expect....we were saying goodbye to someone we love. And although we certainly do not grieve like those who have no hope....it is still hard to say goodbye. But, on the upside...it was a giant family reunion of sorts. We got to see Tommy and Deanna and baby Jordan. Also, Rayden's Aunt Jodie and all her kids and grandkids were there a well. It was fun to be together, catch up, give hugs, and recall wonderful memories.

The stories I want to tell, though, have nothing to do with Rayden's extended family. They center around the comic relief that my sweet boys provided during some very heavy moments. Leave it to children and their impeccable timing to lighten the mood.

The first story involves Kaleb, the funeral, a song, and a very loud comment. I had the amazing honor to sing at Peepaw's funeral. I sang "the old rugged cross" (which happens t be my very favorite hymn of all time) and "Amazing Grace." I sang "the old rugged cross" first and then I was to sit in the front pew and wait until the eulogy was finished before I came up to stage to sing again. Well, I made it through the first song without tears and I began to go and sit down. I was walking down the stage steps in silence as Kaleb shouts out, "mommy, that was beautiful." Oohs and Aahs broke out across the room. Such a sweet boy...and a precious memory.

Okay...story number two. This one is about Nathan, a graveside address, and a big hole. We had to drive about 3 hours from the church to the cemetery where we buried Peepaw. When we got there, there were so many new people that we decided to go ahead and do a whole other service. I sang again and they again delivered a short address. Nathan and Kaleb sat in the front row with Grammy and Grandad (which I tried to avoid all day since it was open casket, but oh well...that didn't work). They did such a great job being still and quiet. Then, the address was over....tears were in many of our eyes and there was a heavy feeling. It was almost as if no one really knew what to do next....how would we proceed? Well, sweet little Nathan breaks the silence. He calls out to the man doing the service..."Umm, sir? Be careful...there's a big hole behind you." (referring to the grave). Everyone laughed and smiled at this charming little boy. It was the perfect transition.

Funerals can be difficult....even when you know that someone is dancing on the streets of gold. My advice....bring small children with you. They are funny, innocent, and a wonderfully cute distraction. If you don't have any of your own, I will rent mine out for a very small, but appropriate, fee. =)

No comments: