Monday, March 23, 2009

an unplanned haircut

First, let me start by saying that I love our church. I love the people in our church. I especially love the sweet childcare workers in our church. They are wonderful. It is difficult to do what they do week in and week out. All that said, yesterday one of those precious, wonderful, blessed childcare workers gave my son scissors to complete a craft project and then walked away. This was the result...




Nathan got an unexpected haircut. When I picked him up from his class the teenage helper in his class informed me that Nathan had "snipped his hair during the craft project." I grabbed him by the hand and calmly walked down the hall and into the women's restroom. Here is the conversation that followed...

M: Nathan, why did you snip your hair?
N: I wanted it to be a little bit shorter.
M: okay, but do you think it's your job to make your hair shorter?
N: no ma'am
M: do you know that snipping your own hair is a bad choice?
N: Yes Ma'am
M: What are we supposed to use scissors for?
N: snipping
M: snipping what?
N: paper
M: so should we ever snip our hair?
N: no ma'am

Simple and straightforward. Then, I swatted his sweet little behind for making a choice that he knew was wrong and we hugged and went to find daddy.

When Nathan found his daddy and showed him what he had done, this is the conversation that followed:

D: Dude, what did you do?
N: Snipped my hair
D: now you look like a goober
N: NO! I'm not a goober! I don't want to be a goober!
D: well, we'll buzz your hair off later
N: yes sir

And that's just what we did. Good thing it's spring. A buzz cut in winter would be a bit out of place.





1 comment:

deliveredjude said...

I liked hearing the conversations. :) At least the final result looks good!