Saturday, September 12, 2009

our tiny theologian

It's been WAY TOO LONG since I last posted. Life has seemed to be on fast forward around here. I promise, though, to catch up this weekend. There is much to share.

There is a story, though, that I want to post before I forget. Some of the little conversations you have with your kids are so meaningful, but you seem to forget them so quickly. I do not want this one to drift out of my memory.

On the way to preschool yesterday Nathan and I had an interesting conversation.

N: Mommy, why did God send Jesus to die on the cross? Why didn't he just do it himself?
M: (after a brief pause to take in such a deep question) I don't really know, baby. That's a great question. I'll have to think about it and talk to daddy and then get back to you.
N: Maybe God was just being shy. Do you think God is shy?
M: No, I don't think God is shy.
N: Maybe he just didn't want to so he made Jesus do it.
M: Well, I don't think that's quite it either. I am sure God didn't want to do it. Even Jesus didn't want to do it, but he knew how important it was for us so he did it anyway. But, I don't think God was just trying to get out of doing it.
N: oh. okay.

I love how his little mind works. I can see God drawing him near to Himself. He is always thinking about spiritual things....he has such deep questions and ponderings. I love that. I also love how he is content to not have all the answers. We never really answered his question, but still his response was "okay" and then he playfully moved on to another topic. It didn't bother him in the slightest that he couldn't "figure God out". I envy that in him. He is such a sweet boy and I am already rejoicing in the hope that he will grow into a godly young man who works to make His Kindgom great!

No comments: