Friday, August 21, 2009

one red and speckled girl...

You know that children's song "five green and speckled frogs?"

Five green and speckled frogs
sat on a speckled log
eating some most delicious bugs....yum....yum
one jumped into the pool
where it was nice and cool
now there are four green speckled frogs.....ribbit....ribbit

Well, I've never had a green speckled frog before, but I have had a red speckled girl. Last week Aubri had Fifth's disease. As I understand it, it's a basically harmless virus that is almost symptomless until...all of a sudden you break out in a red rash. It was almost a scene out of a horror film. First, it was on her face. I immediately thought it was allergic reaction. So, I gave her benedryll. Later I noticed it was on her belly. Then, as I was inspecting her skin I watched it spread everywhere. We went to the doctor right away. Dr. Mitchell said it was Fifths disease and that now that she has the rash she is no longer contagious. The whole thing is absurd, if you ask me.

Here are the reasons why I think this illness is absurd:
1. you are contagious during the time that you don't know any thing is wrong with you.
2. they call it a disease....don't they know that would freak parents out? a much more appropriate name would be "Fifths weird rash that won't cause lasting effects"
3. there is no treatment for this....you just have to look hideous for several days.
Anyway, Aubri is better now. No more rash. She handled it like a trooper. I'm not surprised.


No comments: