Monday, August 10, 2009

"the coupon queen"

Our church's monthly newsletter came out last week. On the back page was an invitation to all the ladies to come to Girls' Night Out on September 18th. The featured speaker?....ME! You may be wondering...."what on earth would she have to teach anyone?" I am guessing you are wondering that, because I was wondering that as well. The subject is not spiritual.....well, wait, I take that back. The subject is not obviously spiritual. I am going to talk about saving money....namely how to save money by using coupons. This is my new great obsession. And I think it's fitting that women learn about this. If we can save money we will be less likely to plunge ourselves into debt (which the Bible repeatedly reminds us is a sin) and we will have more freedom in our budget for giving. Not to mention....getting a really good deal is a fantastic reminder of what joy feels like!

Let me show you the loot I came home with tonight. I did my research, I clipped my coupons, and I went out to 4 different stores. Here is what I came home with...





Rite Aid: pantiliners, toothpaste, and toothbrush (retail value $7) I spent .64!
Walmart: 2 Apple slice and caramel dip packs, smart ones entree, Glade oil candle, oil candle refills, Glade Sense and Spray starter kit (retail- $14.92) I spent $5.76!

Walgreens- 2 Dr Pepper popsicles (bet you can't guess who these are for!), 2 500mL Listerine, Jergens Hydrating body lotion, 2 Reach toothbrushes, Toothpaste, 2 chapsticks, 3 packages highlighters, and a $5 credit towards my next purchase (retail- $26.68) I spent $8.25!

Target- 2 boxes of poptarts, 4 bananas, 6 Granny Smith apples, 2 Cascade rinsing agent, Reach toothbrush, 4 packages Bic pens (retail- $16.50) I spent $1.81!

Tonight I came home with $65 worth of merchandise for just about $15.00! And I have a $5 credit at Walgreens to start my shopping next week. I guess the church newsletter was right...maybe I am the "coupon queen."
If you are reading this and you leave near me I would love to have you come to FHCC's Girls' Night Out in September. If you don't live near me but still want some advice on trimming your budget by using coupons I would love to give you some resources. It is my goal to honor God in ALL areas of my life....money is no exception. Rayden and I worked very hard this last year to get ourselves out of debt. Praise the Lord....by His faithfulness the only debt we have now is our Mini van and our home (which is considered an investment.....not a debt). We are hoping to begin paying off our minivan faster....and then the budget will be much more open to bless others and give more generously.
I challenge you to take a look at your spending. Is it under control or is it controlling you? Work to get out of debt. Tithe and give sacrificial offerings to your church. Bless others. Save for the future. Invest in what matters. In all things we can honor the Lord and shine so that others might know what a difference He can make!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for yet ANOTHER reason that I am ticked off to not live close to you. Awesome. Like I needed another reason! :)
I'm nowhere near your level of awesomeness, but I did use coupons to get the starbucks frappucino from Walgreens last week for .12!

neubiewaters said...

You are amazing!! How did you do that?