Saturday, January 23, 2010

Again???? Are you serious????

On Wednesday afternoon our house was broken into....again. Yes, that's right. This is the second time our house has been broken into in the 5 years we have lived here. Let me tell you the story...

After preschool was over we went and picked up Kaleb from school. So far....nothing is out of the ordinary. Kaleb explains that he got a "g" on his behavior chart signifying that he had a "good" day. We celebrated! This meant that he earned for himself 30 minutes of wii time....pure bliss! We got home and the kids ran inside while I went to get the mail. A moment later Nathan ran out and said, "hey mom....what did you do with our wii?" I reply, "what do you mean, 'what did i do with your wii?' I didn't do anything with it." Still everything feels normal as I come in the door. The first weird thing happens as I turn the corner. There is squeezable grape jelly laying in the middle of the kitchen floor. Odd. But I am still not thrown off to much (my family is a bit rambunctious....anything is possible). But then I head in to the living room and notice that the back door has been kicked in. The frame of the door is just hanging there and the door is all busted up. heart. is. racing. I yell, "who wants to go visit London and Liam (our friends about a mile away)." The kids just stare as if to say, "we just got in the door and now we have to turn right back around again?" With them staring at me dumbstruck I yell "first one to the car gets a cookie." Needless to say, they began moving. We buckled (faster than I ever have before) and drove (rather quickly....Lord, please forgive me for breaking the law and speeding) to my friend Allison's house. (why didn't I just use my cell phone you might be thinking. Well, I had forgotten it at home that day....of course I did. of all days, right!?)

Fast forward. I will spare you the boring details. Allison watched the kids while Rayden and I met with the cops. We discovered all that was missing and we found a fingerprint that would be useful. They didn't take much....just all the things that have any monetary value (cameras, jewelry, wii and wii accessories, Ipods, etc). But the thing that kills me is that they slashed up our trampoline. What a bunch of jerks. I mean, really. I get stealing...at least they have something to gain from that. But this was just downright rude. To be perfectly frank....it felt like on the way out they just left a little "f you" in the backyard.

Anyway. You'd think I would be devastated. Scared maybe. Sad even. But seriously I am doing alright. I mean, things aren't all peachy or anything. I definitely feel violated. I feel sort of "naked" if you will. They had dumped out all our clothes drawers looking for stuff. It bothers me to think that some bad dude was touching my panties. Sick. But, I spent the next day washing every piece of clothing we have. Really, I mostly feel grateful.

In light of recent events in Haiti....I have nothing to complain about. The thought that continues to swirl around in my head is this...."some mommies are out there searching for there babies that are missing. All you are hoping to recover is a stupid Ipod." And really, everything that was taken from us will be restored (minus our deductible) from insurance. Those sweet people may never have what they lost restored to them.

And as far as fear goes....you know I already struggle with this. But, my God is a God of peace and He has proven that to me again. While I haven't yet slept in my bed yet (I feel weird that those people were near my bed) I am not afraid of being in my home. God has kept me safe so far and I have no reason not to think he won't continue to do so.

I am praying that the police will catch these kids and that they will receive consequences for their actions. I want them to know that what they do affects other people. It's like we told the boys, "everyone in the world gets to choose for themselves whether or not they will follow God's rules. But, not following God's rules always hurts you and other people."

No comments: