Monday, February 16, 2009

For my brothers...

If you are not in my family you might not understand this post. But, if you are....you will LOVE it. This is the huggabunch. I don't really want to explain it....I'll just show you how my kids are gladly passing along a tradition that me and my brothers started long ago.



I have so many awesome memories of my brothers growing up. I liked to torture them....like any bossy big sister...but I also loved them and wanted to protect them fiercely. Here are some of my most vivid memories...

- playing "whippersnappers"....a game Josh and I made up in which you use small tree branches to help you be a firefighter as we fought off the "wildfires" that my dad built in a giant metal barrel
- rescuing Jacob from our swimming pool after he jumped in to swim with his big brother (he was only 3)...I was mad afterwards because I didn't have a swimsuit on...I got my clothes all wet
- making up rollerskating dances to Paula Abdul songs
- tricking Jacob into touching a hot stove (I didn't say they were all happy memories...just vivid)
- I once ran away from home because I was jealous of all the attention the new baby Jacob was getting. I hid in the tube slide at the elementary school for 3 hours. I packed my "going to grandma's" suitcase with a blanket and 3 packs of smarties. I eventually just came home. Ironically, I came home because I missed Jacob.
- When I wanted to get my brothers to do something that they didn't want to do I would hold their Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers over the toilet and threaten to flush them ( I was not a terribly nice big sister sometimes)
- We made videos for my grandma and mailed them to her. One had an original rap on it....the lyrics were pure genius...."Grandma, oh granny, you have a big fat fanny. You have blue eyes....and jiggly thighs" I guess you'd have to know our little grandma to understand that this truly was hilarious and well received
- Josh, Rayden, and I rode jet skis with a school of wild dolphins in Destin, Fl
- We used to love the song, "the cat came back" I am sure my parents both hate that song to this day
- As much as I hate to admit it....the 3 of us were crazy about WWF wrestling. I even took Jacob to an event in downtown St. Louis and held a sign that said, "pimpin aint easy!"
- I will never forget my high school graduation. Afterwards I was so excited and bouncing up and down until I saw Josh across the room. As I approached him I could see he had tears in his eyes...as I hugged him I completely melted. I knew I would miss him like crazy. My senior year (his freshman) was when we really became friends.
- At my rehearsal dinner the night before Rayden and I got married I was hugging everyone and getting ready to leave to go out with my girls for one last night as a single lady. I got to Jacob....he burst into tears. I shared a similar reaction. Everything would be different....he knew it and so did I.

Life is interesting. It takes you all sorts of places. You live the first 18 years of your life with these people and then you are never guaranteed to even live in the same state as them ever again. I haven't lived near my brothers now in 4 years. Frankly, I hate that! I miss them. They are so dear to me and they may never know how terribly proud of them I am.

Josh....You are so amazing. I am amazed at your work ethic and your ambition. You are so smart and you have succeeded at everything you have set out to do. There is no mountain too high for you to climb. You WILL do great things in life. Already a published author and almost done with your PhD...you astound me! And beyond that...you are funny, so easy to be around, and kind. You have a quick wit that reminds me of my husband....I love it in him AND in you! You are one of my best friends. We have walked down unthinkably hard roads in the last year....there is no one else I would have wanted to walk them with me. You have been brave, strong, calm, and loving in really difficult moments. My love for you is deep. I would do anything for you. I thank the Lord that he gave me you as a brother.

Jacob...You are so wonderful. I feel like I am just getting to know who you are. You have so much life and spunk. You are fun to be with. You are really growing into a wonderful man. I have been so impressed with how you have matured through your fraternity. People look up to you and I know that they see in you the same leadership qualities that I see in you. I love that you are strong and tough on the outside...and just a big ball of mush on the inside. Girls will love that you are sensitive and are not so callous that you can't feel. I loved that at the moment I needed you this holiday break you came through. You really stepped up and for the first time I got to see you as a man. And what a fine man you are! What we walked through together was heart-wrenching. You did it with grace, class, and humor. I was glad to have you by my side. I hate that we are so far apart...maybe someday the Lord will see fit to let us live closer together. I love you and will ALWAYS be here for you. I thank God that I have you.

Siblings are special gifts. I am thankful for mine. I pray daily that my kids will treasure each other. I want them to be close and lean on each other. They are blessed and so am I.

1 comment:

deliveredjude said...

I must - SHAMEFULLY - confess that I made up a rollerskating routine to Gangster's Paradise. It was a lot rougher and gruffer routine than might accompany Paula, I'm sure. :) Oh man. childhood memories.