Friday, November 12, 2010

the Suessical

First off, tell me this. have you ever seen anything cuter than this?I pulled up to the car line at school on a sunny Monday afternoon (after another hugely successful shopping trip in Springfield). My intention was to pick up my babies, take them home, feed them a snack, help them with their homework, feed them dinner, care for my hubby (who had a horrible cold), and get Kaleb ready for his first grade program and get him to the school by 6:30. No small feat for sure.

And only milliseconds after my kids got in the car I get an announcement from the eldest child of the Hollis brood. Even before I hear the click of his seat belt he declares that he needs a red tie for the program.
Let me clarify. He did not need a red tie. He wanted one. He DESPERATELY wanted one. I mean, he acted as if his next breath was literally dependent on me coming through with a red tie.
Being the supermom that I am I decided to grant my sweet son's wish. I had about 2 hours and only one store (walmart) to find one. I was pretty sure that walmart would be a huge disappointment so I instead searched through the scraps in my fabric basket.
I found some red and white striped fabric and googled "child's tie tutorial."
I quickly learned that you actually need quite a bit of fabric to make a necktie. And I only had a scrap. I then googled how to make a bow tie. After receiving approval from my boy I set to work. It was surprisingly easy. And Kaleb was utterly thrilled! When I was fixing his hair he asked me if I thought he would be the most handsome boy on stage. I said, "baby, I don't think....I know." he smiled and off we went.
It was a wonderful program. They sang and danced so wonderfully. Kaleb participated just as he was supposed to...no break dancing....wandering around...or other unexplained weirdness. He even remembered the line he was assigned. Yes, he said it very rapidly and it was difficult to understand, but he was wonderful nonetheless. I could not have been more proud. Oh, and I was right by the way.....he certainly was the most handsome one on stage.

1 comment:

Rhianna Garber said...

TOO STINKIN` CUTE! You're such an awesome momma!