Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Totally ashamed

I am mortified that it has been over an entire month since I last posted anything. It's not been because nothing has been going on. Indeed....the opposite is true. LOTS has been happening. I will give you a brief rundown (you can thank me later) and then I will try and go back and post pictures and more details later. Here are the Hollis family's comings and goings in the last month or so:

-Nathan turned 5. We celebrated for the 3rd straight year at RiverCity Gymnastics. He had over 20 friends help him celebrate this momentous occasion. And now, I have 2 five year old boys living in my house (please keep me on your prayer list)

-We resigned from Forest Hill Community Church. We were already looking for another job (as a senior pastor) but we did not already have one "locked up". It was a giant leap of faith.....scary and exhilarating all at the same time.

-We went in view of a call at Southern Hills Baptist Church in Bolivar, Mo.

-Rayden accepted the job as senior pastor at Southern Hills. There were more "no" votes than we were hoping for, but we both recognize that the older generations have a more difficult time accepting that my husband wears jeans to preach and doesn't stand behind a pulpit.

-I had to talk to my mother about why it would be inappropriate for her to have sex with her "boyfriend" at her assisted living facility. Gasp! Talk about a conversation I never thought I would have to have. That is the understatement of the year. It's a very long (and humorous and sad and confusing) story that deserves it's own post....so we'll just stop here for now.

-I took my mother to Pennsylvania to visit with her sister who is struggling with ALS. It seems to be progressing quickly so I wanted her to have some time with her sister before she passes. It was a difficult trip (mainly because I was stuck in the car with a dementia patient for 30 hours). More on this trip to come too.

-We had a big going away party 2 nights before we moved. It was so fun...and so emotional. I had not cried about moving until this night. So many amazing friends came to wish us well. It was very touching.

-We moved. We now live in Bolivar, Mo in the parsonage that our church owns. It is wonderful. Although, I am sick of seeing boxes around my house still. We've been here less than 2 weeks, but I wish we were done and completely settled. Oh well....we'll get there one box at a time.

-I am totally in love with Kaleb's new school. It has been awesome! I will tell you why later.

Well....that's the brief version. I will give more details and show you some pictures later. But for now, there are more boxes to be unpacked and I am packing a suitcase so that Rayden and I can head back to Memphis tomorrow for a wedding (and so that we can pack up my mom's things and bring her to an assisted living facility here in Bolivar). Lots to do! Ta ta for now!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I had heard through the grapevine that y'all were moving to Bolivar. I was wondering how that would affect your mom. Glad you found a facility near you. Hoping and praying the church will be a blessing to you as I know y'all will be a blessing to the church!

neubiewaters said...

I've been wondering if I'd run into you anywhere in town. Welcome to Bolivar. Hope the church appreciated the group that parked their bus near your church yesterday.

the broomes said...

okay...I think that when you have three young children, a mother that you care for, and you move them all to a different state, you're off the hook for not blogging!:) Please give my sisters hugs for me in B town! I am so excited for you and Rayden! Can't wait to hear about what great things God does with y'all at Southern Hills!