Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday America!

Rayden and the kids went to visit his folks last weekend. But, because Rayden was preaching at church on the 5th they came home on the evening of the 4th. Just in time for some celebrating! We all went swimming and then got in our jammies. Aubri went to bed (she is terrified of fireworks....like clutch your neck so hard you get claw marks-scared) and Grandma, the boys, Rayden and I went to the driveway to create a small fireworks show of our own. I had gone to a small fireworks store in Lakeland and purchased 18 dollars worth of fun.

I got my money's worth.

We had a blast. The boys took turns lighting fireworks out of an old vase (supervised of course) and we all had fun with poppers and sparklers. We also bought these things called snakes (which Nathan LOVED). They pretty much just ooze out ash in the form of a snake. If you ask me, a more appropriate name would be "turds." They were so nasty looking....which apparently thrills the heart of my 4 year old. Not terribly surprising, I must say.

I am thankful for the 4th of July. I am grateful for holidays that have traditions and special moments with family. But, mostly I am thankful for the freedom we celebrate on that day. I am grateful that, for whatever reason, God saw fit to choose this time and this place for me. What a privilege it is for me to live in a country where I am free to worship my God boldly and without persecution. I first belong to my God....but after that I am proud to belong to my country. May God bless America and may America bless God!

















No comments: