Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Our first break

Well, it took us 4 years, but we have our first broken bone. Tonight, Nathan fractured his ulna. I guess a more accurate way of saying it would be that Kaleb broke Nathan's ulna. Here's the story...

I took the boys out to Chick-Fil-A for supper (while Jacob, Rayden, and Aubri returned our defective treadmill we just bought yesterday). After the boys ate they wanted to play in the playplace. Of course I said yes....anything to expend some of their endless energy. After about 5 minutes the entire restaurant froze as the most bood curdling scream came from within the playground. I leapt from my booth (as a mommy I instantly recognized the cry to be my little Nathan). Turns out that Kaleb was trying to tell Nathan to get down from standing on the edge of the slide. When Nathan didn't listen, Kaleb just pushed him off. What brotherly love, right!?

So, I took Nathan home, expecting him to give it up half way there. But, he didn't. He hung his right arm down limp and wouldn't use it to touch anything. When Rayden arrived home about 15 minutes later his elbow was already swelling up. So, off to Urgent care we went.

The doctor didn't think it was broken at first because he was able to put a good amount of pressure on it without Nathan wincing (as it turns out...nathan just has an amazing threshhold for pain!). We did an xray anyway to be sure. Good thing we did, because sure enough, in the exact spot that Nathan said the pain was (on the back of his arm right under his elbow) he fractured his ulna. He was so brave. And he won over every nurse and doctor in the place. They were exceedingly slow tonight (Praise the Lord!) so we had everyone's full attention. Nathan knew this was his moment to shine. He asked brilliant questions and wowed everyone with his vocabulary and insight..."you're sure he's only three?" they would say. To reward his wonderful behavior they gave him a popsicle and a toy motorcycle.

He has a splint on his arm and we have been instructed to go and see an orthopedic doctor tomorrow to get a real cast. We'll have to see what they say as far as how long this thing has to stay on. My poor, sweet, rambunctious 3 year old simply wanted to know, "but how am I going to play with just one hand?" Is there anything more pitiful than that?

I'll update the blog again tomorrow with pictures of the real cast and details about the injury.














1 comment:

Nanette Crawley said...

Okay...I totally just teared up...Please tell him that Ms Nanette Loves him and will have a suprise for him on Sunday for being so brave...and give Kaleb a kiss from me...He probably feels so bad...he loves his brother so much...I love these boys!