Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Adding something new

We kept some old traditions (Santa scopes, creating a heart for Jesus), but we also added some new traditions. After Christmas Eve service we came home and used our Santa Scopes. Then, we got in our jammies and headed to the living room. I prepared a yummy dessert which I have called "apple orange turnovers" which is simply delicious. While it was cooking in the oven we began a tradition in our household that I have enjoyed for almost 25 years.

When I was growing up we got to open 2 presents on Christmas Eve. These 2 gifts were the ones that our siblings picked out for us. I'm not sure if when we were really little my parents just bought things and said they were from us or not, but whatever the case, it was really fun to give those two presents to my brothers each Christmas Eve.

So, this year I took each of the boys out to the store by themselves and they got to pick something for their brother and sister. I simply guided them when appropriate ("that's too much money" or "which one would THEY like best....not which one would YOU like best"). Nathan and I went to Target. He picked out a transformer for Kaleb that went from Spiderman to a motorcycle. Then, he picked a playground ball for Aubri that has all the Disney princesses on it. Later that same day I took Kaleb to ToysRUs and he picked a Batmas helicopter for Nathan and some stacking stars for Aubri. Aubri didn't go out and pick this year...I did that for her. She got her brothers each a Power Ranger...marked down to 6.97 a piece thank you very much!

They each helped me wrap the gifts they bought and then they wrote the names on them and hid them in the house. They did a great job at keeping their items a secret (of course, I took them shopping 2 days before Christmas eve so they wouldn't have to keep quiet for long). I saw in them that night a love for giving gifts. It was great to see them just as excited to give their gifts as they were to get them....and that's pretty good for preschooolers!

This will definetly be a tradition for years to come.


PawPaw trying to figure out how on earth the motorcycle turns into a spiderman figure.
Aubri and mommy enjoy stacking up those stars....anything that sings and lights up is a huge hit!

Nathan proudly displays his treasures.


Aubri enjoyed opening gifts.



Kaleb is thrilled with what Nathan got him.





No comments: