Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Branson Trout Hatchery

Being a homeschool family, you know we had to throw a little education into our vacation!  We took an afternoon jaunt over to the fish hatchery and learned a little about trout.  And when I say a little, that's exactly what I mean.  The only part of the place that actually offers real information (a video about the life cycle of fish, seeing the eggs and hatchlings, etc) was closed for renovation.  Oh well, what can you do?  

 We were able to walk around and see the different sizes of trout they had and pump quarters into the turn-style machine to fetch wretched smelling pellets to throw at the little buggars.
 I started to feel the puke rise up in my throat as the fish swarmed for the tiny brown pellets.  They were flipping up out of the water and flopping around on each other.  My minds eye couldn't help but envision the swarm engulfing me.  It was sorta a horror movie type feeling....but, it was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the education of my kids.  Oh, yeah....we didn't really learn anything.  Well....they had fun anyway so we'll call it a win.  For them.  Not for me.


No comments: