Monday, June 28, 2010

A time to celebrate

Most of you who read this will already know this sweet little face. But, for those of you who don't yet know this little beauty let it be my honor to introduce you to Zemma. Isn't she adorable. I could just smooch those cheeks right off her little face! Zemma is the newly adopted daughter of my sweet friend Laura. Laura and I go way back....I mean....way back. Like all the way back to our middle school days. She was one grade below me, but we were sweet friends. I simply loved her family growing up. Her home was a place filled with laughter and you KNEW that they all loved each other to the very core of their being. It always felt like a very safe and secure place to be. Maybe that's why I loved sleeping over there. Laura and I would sleep in the strangest places....I'm not exactly sure why....but, hey....when you're in middle school you don't need much of a reason to act ridiculous. We slept under her dining room table (I think we ended up here because we figured out that the bathtub wasn't a very comfortable option), in her kitchen, and also in the fold-down trunk of my father's car. Then, we'd wake up and make strange versions of pancakes. One version in particular I remember was peppermint pancakes. I think even her dog rejected those. Anyway...she is a sweet dear friend who I have such fond memories of. And now...she has added this amazing little girl to her family. What a joy it was to watch her introduce her baby to so many of her friends.
We had an absolute blast playing together and enjoying a meal. The kids played in the baby pool, the men played washers, and the women...well, you know what we did....we gabbed and gabbed into the late evening. Zemma and I bonded over bubbles. I got to catch up with Laura's older sister Lindsey (she was a hero of mine when I was in high school). It was fun to trade ministry wives stories with her. And it was a blast to see their mom Carol again. Carol has been a hero to me through everything with my parents. Every once in a while I get a precious note from her saying that she's praying for me. We don't talk often, but I feel connected to her through prayer. And there is no greater way to be connected in my opinion. It was also fantastic to gather so many of our Bolivar friends in one place at one time. I love hearing laughter....from kids and adults, echoing through my house and yard. There's not much more I need in life....a Savior, an amazing family, and dear sweet friends. I am a blessed woman.




No comments: